Agnes Antonian draws on her chemical engineering background and environmental engineering experience to successfully address a variety of complex environmental litigation and land use matters. As Chair of Connell Foley's Environmental Law Group, she concentrates her practice in environmental and land use litigation, and other complex business litigation matters.
Ms. Antonian has significant experience in environmental litigation involving CERCLA, RCRA, CWA, and the New Jersey Spill Act. She has trial experience in both federal and state court in environmental actions and represents PRPs in government and private costs-recovery litigation and in alternative dispute resolution resolving disputes among PRPs. Ms. Antonian has experience in handling environmental regulatory and enforcement with the NJDEP. She has experience in representing clients dealing with the USEPA, NJDEP, as well as the EPA on matters relating to CERCLA enforcement.
Ms. Antonian represents a PRP in CERCLA and NRD enforcement matters related to Passaic River and Newark Bay. She is currently counsel to the Special Master in the enforcement of the largest court-ordered environmental cleanup in the country, involving CERCLA, RCRA, and other state and federal regulations and addressing soil, groundwater, and sediment contamination. She also represents the owner-developer in a $28 million claim retail construction project involving numerous parties and complex delay and other construction claims and counterclaims. Additionally, Ms. Antonian represents developers and property owners in numerous challenges to adverse rulings by state and federal regulators, including the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in development projects.
In 2010, Ms. Antonian was named to the New Jersey Law Journal’s "40 Under 40" listing of young attorneys considered top leaders in the state's legal community.
Ms. Antonian graduated magna cum laude from Seton Hall University School of Law in 2000, where she was a member of the Seton Hall Constitutional Law Journal. From 2001 through 2002, she clerked for Hon. Katharine S. Hayden in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Ms. Antonian worked for Keyspan Energy Corp. from 1993 to 1999, managing all aspects of environmentally-impaired properties and redevelopment of such properties. While she worked for Keyspan, Ms. Antonian interfaced with numerous regulatory agencies to ensure environmental compliance.
Ms. Antonian is fluent in Polish.
- Represents a utility in a CERCLA and NRD enforcement matter relating to the Passaic River and Newark Bay
- Represents the Special Master in the enforcement of court ordered injunction against Honeywell
- Representation of a retail developer in connection with substantial claims relating to defective workmanship, fraud, and construction delay claims
- Represented Mosaid Technologies Inc. in a case which resulted in a landmark legal decision regarding e-discovery, has been cited and analyzed more than twenty-five times
- Represented property developer in a litigation against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which resulted in a significant decision in the Federal court, in support of the land owner/developer
- Represented Texas Instruments as local counsel in patent and anti-trust litigation that resulted in a jury verdict in excess of $100,000,000 on behalf of the client
Honors and Awards:
- "Best 50 Women in Business," NJBIZ (2017)
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Environmental Law (2016)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers (2016, 2017)
- "40 Under 40," New Jersey Law Journal (2010)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Rosen v. Keeler, 411 N.J.Super. 439, 986 A.2d 731 (App. Div. 2010)
- Sandra W. Seigel v. New Jersey Dept. of Environmental Protection, 395 N.J.Super. 604 (App. Div. 2007)
- Novo Nordisk A/S v. Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC, Slip Copy, 2008 WL 323611, D.N.J., [Civil Action No. 07-3206 (MLC).]
- LG Electronics U.S.A., Inc. v. Whirlpool corp., Slip Copy, 2007 WL 980419, , D.N.J., [Civ. No. 04-2306 (GEB).]
- Globespanvirata, Inc. v. Texas Instrument, Inc., Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2006 WL 543155, 2006-1 Trade Cases P 75,229, , D.N.J., [No. 03-2854 (GEB).]
- Globespanvirata, Inc. v. Texas Instrument, Inc., Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2006 WL 13021, D.N.J., [No. 03-2854 (GEB).]
- Globespanvirata, Inc. v. Texas Instruments, Inc, Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2005 WL 3077915, D.N.J., [No. Civ. 03-2854 (GEB).]
- GlobespanVirata, Inc. v. Texas Instruments, Inc., Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2005 WL 1638136, D.N.J., [No. Civ.A. 03-2854 (GEB).]
- Globespanvirata, Inc. v. Texas Instrument, Inc., Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2005 WL 984346, D.N.J., [No. Civ.03-2854 (GEB).]
- Mosaid Technologies Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 362 F.Supp.2d 526, 2005 WL 737524, D.N.J., [Nos. 01-CV-4340 (WJM), 03-CV-4698 (WJM).]
- Mosaid Technologies Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 348 F.Supp.2d 332, 2004 WL 2797536, D.N.J., [No. 01-CV-4340 (WJM).]
- Mosaid Techs. Inc. v. Samsung Elecs. Co., Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2004 WL 2550309, D.N.J., [No. Civ.A01-CV-4340 (WJM).]
- Mosaid Techs. Inc. v. Samsung Elecs. Co., 224 F.R.D. 595, 2004 WL 2535436, , D.N.J., [No. CIV.A.01-CV-4340 (WJM).]
- Mosaid Techs. Inc. v. Samsung Elecs. Co., Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2004 WL 2550306, D.N.J., [No. Civ.A.01-CV-4340 (WJM).]
- FD&P Enterprises v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 239 F.Supp. 2d 509 (D.N.J. 2003)
- Trump Administration Slows and Streamlines Environmental Regulatory Processes (January 2017)
- Ninth Circuit to Decide Whether RCRA Regulates Chemical Seepage From Treated Wood (January 2017)
- Newark Hosts the World’s Largest Vertical Farm; Is This The Future of Urban City Development? (January 2017)
- GAO Report Finds EPA Generally Consistent in Managing Superfund Sediment Sites, but Notes Limitations in EPA's Documentation (December 2016)
- EPA Issues Final Rule on Oil-fired Boiler and Area Source Boiler Emissions Standards (November 2016)
- Property Owners Find Relief in Supreme Court Decision on Jurisdictional Determinations (June 2016)
- NJDEP Provides Clarification and Reminds Property Owners of May 2016 Cleanup Investigation Deadline (March 2016)
- Court Denies Citizens’ Group Claim that Road Salt Is Solid Waste Under RCRA (March 2016)
- Proposed TSCA Changes May Allow EPA to Ban Asbestos (February 2016)
- United States Supreme Court Stays EPA Clean Power Plan (February 2016)
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2000)
- University of Notre Dame (B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1993)
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York