Jennifer M. Carrillo-Perez
Jennifer M. Carrillo-Perez parlays years of real estate experience into innovative solutions and opportunities for a range of developer clients. With a background in land use and zoning, redevelopment, municipal law, and regulatory and government affairs, Ms. Carrillo-Perez is a sought-after advisor on key development projects as well as related legislative issues.
As part of her practice, Ms. Carrillo-Perez guides clients in the preparation of preliminary investigations to designate areas in need of rehabilitation and redevelopment. She likewise provides counsel on redevelopment plans and ordinances, and formulates redevelopment agreements. Her work covers complex redevelopment matters, including Green Acres, as well as affordable housing development.
In addition, Ms. Carrillo-Perez works with governmental entities to identify and secure public financing incentives, payments in lieu of taxes, and tax abatements.
With deep ties to the community, Ms. Carrillo-Perez devotes a substantial amount of time to projects that have a positive impact on New Jersey’s cities. She was recently selected for membership in the Emerging Leaders Council of the Rutgers Center for Real Estate.
Ms. Carrillo-Perez served as law clerk for the Honorable Claude M. Colemen, Judge of the Superior Court, Essex County, Civil Division.
Honors and Awards:
- New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2015-2017)
- LUPE PAC Women Pioneers Award (2014)
- New Leaders of the Bar, New Jersey Law Journal (2013)
- Professional Services Business Person of the Year, Statewide Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey (2009)
- Newark School of the Arts, Board of Trustee (2014 - Present)
- ASPIRA of New Jersey, Board Chair (2004 - 2014)
- Discovery Charter School, Board of Trustees Member (2004 - 2005)
- City of Newark, Newark Public Schools Advisory Board Member (2001 - 2004)
- Panelist, "Real Estate Market Forecast: Newark Continues to Rise," Newark Regional Business Partnership (NRBP) 2017 Marketing Forcast, Newark, NJ (March 2017)
- Panelist, “Creation & Adoption of a Redevelopment Plan,” New Jersey Redevelopment Authority (NJRA) Redevelopment Planning Law conference, Newark, NJ (October 2016)
- Moderator, “Newark CRE 360: A Global View of the Development, Investment & Financing Opportunities and Challenges,” The Second Annual Newark CRE Summit, Newark, NJ (June 2016)
- Moderator, "Newark's Redevelopment Successes: Lessons Learned & Prospects," American Planning Association - New Jersey Chapter, New Brunswick, NJ (January 2013)
- City of Newark commendation for serving as a moderator and panelist on "Building a Better North Ward" forum on filing Tax Appeals (March 2011)
- Panelist, "Pay-to-Play." New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association Conference