Lacey, John P.Partner
John P. Lacey, the Immediate Past President of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, began his legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable Charles L. Brieant, former Chief Judge of the Southern District of New York. Thereafter, Mr. Lacey received his trial and appellate training from the prestigious U.S. Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute in Washington, D.C. He served in the United States Department of Justice as an Assistant United States Attorney for New Jersey, handling a large variety of successful high profile criminal prosecutions and asset forfeitures, as well as numerous successful appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. During that time, Mr. Lacey served under now Associate Justice Samuel Alito, Jr., of the Supreme Court of the United States and Michael Chertoff, the former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Aside from defending numerous high-profile civil and criminal defense matters, Mr. Lacey's work often includes the handling of confidential corporate matters where discretion is required including defense of Federal and State investigations, internal corporate investigations, and other business crisis situations. His clients have included multi-national corporations and law firms, corporate executives, professional athletes, attorneys, and accountants.
Mr. Lacey joined Connell Foley in 1991. He concentrates his practice in federal litigation, complex commercial matters, white-collar criminal defense, employment law, and internal and external corporate and government investigations.
Mr. Lacey has appeared as a legal analyst for MSNBC News and Court TV. In 2002, the Essex County Bar Association awarded him its Trial Attorney of the Year Award. Mr. Lacey currently serves as an Officer of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey. The Association represents more than 800 attorneys who practice before the judges of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Honors and Awards:
- "Top Attorneys in New Jersey" as seen in New Jersey Monthly Magazine (2013)
- “New York Area’s Top Rated Lawyers” by Martindale-Hubbell, as seen in New York Magazine (2012)
- "New Jersey's Top Rated Lawyers" as seen in Inside Jersey magazine (2012)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers (2005, 2006, 2009-2013)
- Trial Attorney of the Year, Essex County Bar Association (2002)
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- President, The Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Member, U.S. Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member, New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Electronic Filing; New Jersey Chief Justice Stuart Rabner asked the committee to prepare a comprehensive set of recommendations on how to make e-filing broadly available in New Jersey’s court system (October 2008)
- Trustee, The Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Speaker, "Negotiating Labor Agreements," Continuing Education Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School; Cambridge, MA (December 2003)
- Member, New Jersey Supreme Court, Committee on Model Jury Instructions−Criminal (2002)
- Author, “U.S. Supreme Court Limits Mail and Wire Fraud Statutes,” published in New Jersey Law Journal (August 2010)
- Author, "Help Guide the Guilty Client Through the Legal Process," published in New Jersey Law Journal (August 2009)
- Author, "Taking the Complexity Out Of Complex Litigation," published in New Jersey Law Journal (May 2009)
- Author, “The Pendulum Swings Back: Supreme Court Restores District Judges with Wider Discretion to Impose Appropriate Sentence," published in New Jersey Law Journal (April 2008)
- Co-author, "Sarbanes-Oxley Rule Revisions Announced," published in The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (February 2007)
- Author, "Vital Role Of Criminal Defense Counsel In The New Legal Environment," published in The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (June 2005)
- Author, "When Time is Critical, Seek an Injunction," published in New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (December 2003)
- Author, "Illegal Conduct in the Workplace" (2001)
Practice AreaClass Action DefenseIntellectual PropertyWhite-Collar Criminal DefenseCommercial Litigation Crisis Management & Catastrophic Loss Labor & Employment Law
Seton Hall University (J.D., 1984)
Arizona State University (B.S., Business, 1981)
State of New Jersey
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States District Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit