Leo J. Hurley Jr.
A polished trial attorney and seasoned litigator with a track record of success, Leo J. Hurley, Jr. handles a wide variety of civil and criminal litigation in the state and federal courts of both New Jersey and New York. Mr. Hurley routinely handles civil disputes in subject areas as diverse as complex commercial, employment, products liability, estate and probate, trade secret and corporate dissolution/oppressed minority shareholder litigation. He has successfully tried cases to verdict in New Jersey and New York courts, but is equally effective at achieving success for his clients outside of the courtroom. Mr. Hurley prides himself on his ability to guide clients to early settlement when possible and to favorable jury verdicts when necessary.
Prior to joining Connell Foley, Mr. Hurley was an associate at a large Mid-Atlantic regional law firm. Mr. Hurley also served for six years as an Assistant Prosecutor in Hudson County where he prosecuted hundreds of felony cases including homicides, armed robberies and complex financial crimes. Mr. Hurley served as lead trial counsel on 16 jury trials and several bench trials, many of which required him to present testimony from and cross-examine the testimony of expert witnesses in fields as varied as forensic DNA analysis, mechanical engineering and forensic psychology. Drawing on expertise gleaned from his time on the front-lines at the Prosecutor’s Office, Mr. Hurley routinely provides counsel and guidance to corporations, government officials and private citizens regarding compliance with Federal and State Grand Jury subpoenas, associated investigations and, in the worst case scenario, prosecutions. Mr. Hurley is a vocal advocate for the rights of the accused and parlays his courtroom experience and knowledge of the criminal justice system into desirable results for his clients.
Mr. Hurley counts among his clients commercial lenders, mortgage servicing companies, private equity firms and other financial institutions who rely on his industry experience for assistance in complex asset recovery proceedings, loan workout and forbearance agreements, and loan sales and purchases. Mr. Hurley has successfully litigated contested commercial foreclosure matters in both New York and New Jersey, and obtained significant recoveries for creditors from personal guarantors of all manner of loans.
Mr. Hurley serves as Special Legal Counsel and Labor and Employment Counsel to the City of Bayonne and as Counsel to the Construction Board of Appeals of the City of Bayonne. He is the Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of Marist High School, Bayonne and a long-time and active member of the Bayonne St. Patrick’s Day Parade Committee. A past president of Young Lawyers Division of the Hudson County Bar Association, long-time trustee of the Association and member of the Association’s committee on Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments, Mr. Hurley was recently named Treasurer of the Association, placing him on track to be the Hudson County Bar Association’s President in 2018.
In 2000, Mr. Hurley was awarded a B.A. in both History and Government from Georgetown University’s College of Arts and Sciences. While at Georgetown, he worked on the staff of then-Congressman Robert Menendez. He received his J.D. in 2003 from the University of Notre Dame and subsequently served as the law clerk to the Honorable Edward T. O’Connor, Jr., J.S.C. during the 2003-2004 court term.
- In a federal matter venued in the Southern District of New York and with claims brought by a prominent, international media conglomerate totaling $820,412.00 against his client, a mid-sized technology company, Mr. Hurley pursued an aggressive and outside-the-box litigation strategy leading to a settlement that absolved the firm’s client of any payment on the underlying claims prior to the exchange of discovery.
- Successfully litigated and tried to verdict a defamation matter venued in Nassau County, New York involving defamatory statements made by a former employee of his client, a prominent, international duty free company.
- Successfully litigated and tried to verdict a probate matter venued in Bergen County, New Jersey and involving claims that decedent’s will and trust were the product of undue influence by the his client. After trial, the Court found no cause for the contestant’s claims and awarded only 20% of contestant’s claimed attorney’s fees from the corpus of the estate – a rare result in Probate litigation.
- Successfully negotiated a no-pay settlement of significant, threatened litigation over a non-compete and non-solicitation agreement prior to the filing of a complaint against his client.
- Successfully negotiated an extremely favorable plea agreement with the State of New Jersey, resulting in the dismissal of the Megan’s Law related charges, a minimization of potential unfavorable collateral immigration consequences, and potential dismissal of the actual charge as against his client, a 16 year old non-citizen juvenile who was charged with Criminal Sexual Contact, an offense with potential Megan’s Law consequences.
- Obtained a dismissal, through motion practice in Bergen County, New Jersey, of Lemon Law and Products Liability claims against his client, a Fortune 100 automobile manufacturer.
- Successfully drafted a motion for summary judgment in a breach of contract action venued in Bergen County, New Jersey, leading to an award of $1.6 million in damages to his client.
Honors and Awards:
- New Jersey Law Journal “New Leaders of the Bar” (2016)
- Irish Echo "Irish Top 40 Under 40" Honoree (2014)
- Irish Echo "Law and Order 50" Honoree (2012)
New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Star (2013-2017)
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Vice-Chairman, Marist High School Board (2013-present)
Hudson County Bar Association
- Membership Secretary (2014)
- Treasurer (2013)
- Member, Hudson County Bar Association Committee on Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments (2010-Present)
- Barrister, Morris Pashman Inn of Court (2010-Present)
- Member, Shamrock Society of Bayonne (2008-Present)
- Trustee , Hudson County Bar Association (2006-2013)
- President, Young Lawyers Division - Hudson County Bar Association (2005, 2006)
- Chairman, By-Laws Committee, Bayonne Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Committee (2004-Present)
- Member, County Corkmen’s Association of Bayonne (1996-Present)
- Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 2003)
- Georgetown University (B.A., History and Government, 2000)
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Courts of the Appeals for the Third Circuit