Patrick J. Hughes
Patrick J. Hughes represents businesses in diverse industries with commercial, product liability, and mass tort litigation in New Jersey, New York, and Eastern Pennsylvania, in state and federal courts. Mr. Hughes' commercial disputes cover a wide range of contract, fraud, and business tort cases. His defense of product liability actions includes various chemical exposure cases as national coordinating counsel. Mr. Hughes also has extensive experience in asbestos mass tort, defending manufacturers, suppliers, and premises owners in several jurisdictions. He has tried more than fifty cases in state and federal courts, including several professional liability cases. Based upon his experience as a litigator, Mr. Hughes was designated a Certified Civil Trial Attorney from 1995-2011 by the Board of Trial Attorney Certification of the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Mr. Hughes also drafts, reviews, and negotiates commercial transactions. He is adept at complex negotiations and assists clients in the chemical and energy industries in all phases of commercial contracts.
In addition to his trial and negotiation skills, Mr. Hughes is well-versed in compliance issues, providing counsel to health care clients subject to increasingly complex regulatory constraints and governmental scrutiny. In that capacity, Mr. Hughes has developed compliance programs for physicians’ practices which address anti-referral, anti-kickback, privacy, and other state and federal statutes and regulations. He also counsels health care practices regarding general corporate matters.
He began his career as a Captain in the United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where Mr. Hughes was assigned to the 82d Airborne Division as a prosecutor and international law officer.
- Represents a specialty chemical manufacturer in toxic exposure cases brought in state courts by employees of various manufacturers
- Represents a chemical manufacturer in disputes regarding multiple complex long term contracts
- Represented several manufacturers in disputes regarding domestic and international sales
- Represented a manufacturer in various, periodic contract negotiations with major tire manufacturers
- Represented a business owner in breach of commercial loan case
- Represents manufacturers, distributors, and facility owners in state and federal asbestos actions, including trial of a mesothelioma death case in federal court
- Represented a flavor manufacturer in a commercial claim brought by a beverage manufacturer located in Central America, where much of the discovery occurred, to a successful resolution
- Represented a construction chemicals manufacturer in an insurance coverage dispute, which resolved satisfactorily without the necessity of filing an action
- Represented a construction company that prefabricated concrete for a bridge, seeking commercial damages from a general contractor in a federal court action, which resolved satisfactorily on the second trial day
- Represents physicians' practices in all phases of business, compliance and corporate matters
Honors and Awards:
- Client Choice Awards (2013)
- "New Jersey's Top Rated Lawyers" as seen in Inside Jersey magazine (2012)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers (2006, 2008, 2012-2017)
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- USLAW Network
- Master and Co-Director, John C. Lifland American Inn of Court
- Manager, Connell Foley’s Cherry Hill, New Jersey Office
- Glencore LTD v. Degussa Engineered Carbons L.P., 848 F. Supp. 2d (S.D.N.Y. 2012); Defended a manufacturer in a contract dispute and petition to order the dispute to arbitration under the Federal Arbitration Act and the New York Convention.
- Weiss v. Goldfarb, 713 A.2d 427 (N.J. 1998); Defended a medical center and its staff in a wrongful death, medical malpractice claim, in which the Supreme Court upheld the trial court’s denial of an ultimate outcome instruction requested by the plaintiff to inform the jury that any judgment against the hospital would be limited by statute.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1984)
- Lafayette College (B.A., Government and Law, cum laude, 1981)
- State of New Jersey
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of New York
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York