William D. Deveau
William D. Deveau is a versatile practitioner who focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation and insurance coverage law. Mr. Deveau counsels and represents insurers on complex insurance coverage issues including bad faith, commercial and excess liability, construction defect, professional liability, directors & officers liability, nanotechnology, environmental claims and cyber claims. Additionally, he represents local and regional businesses in corporate, transactional, and litigation matters. In law school, Mr. Deveau was the recipient of the New York State Bar Association Law Student Achievement Award and a member of the St. John's University Law School Journal of Legal Commentary. Mr. Deveau also served as the President of the Environmental Law Society. Mr. Deveau worked as a law clerk for the United States Department of Justice, in the Environmental & Natural Resources Division, Environmental Enforcement Section in Washington, D.C. He is a past contributor to the New York State Bar Association's Environmental Lawyer publication.
Honors and Awards:
- New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2014-2017)
- Representation of insurer in complex coverage litigation concerning claims alleging bodily injury due to exposure to food flavorings.
- Representation of insurer in complex coverage litigation concerning consolidated claims alleging bodily injury, and various other harms arising out of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.
- Representation of commercial lines insurers in New York contractors and labor law cases.
- Representation of first party property insurers in catastrophe claims, including those from Superstorm Sandy.
- Representation of insurers and insureds in construction defect claims.
- National coordinating counsel for commercial lines insurer in toxic tort claims related to manufacturing by-products.
- Representation of regional business in $76 million combined stock and asset sale of petroleum wholesale and distribution company. Lead attorney responsible for disposition and title transfer of $43 million of real estate assets.
- Representation of alternative energy developer in the implementation of the largest solar photovoltaic power system in Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Representation of $7 billion REIT in settlement of 125 defaulted real estate contracts, including arbitrations in connection with failed condominium project taken over by mezzanine lender. Lead attorney on settlement and arbitration program.
- Representation of the owner and developer of one of the first projects in New Jersey to offer fractional ownership under the New Jersey Real Estate Timeshare Act and successfully won approval of this equity ownership club in Cape May from the State's Real Estate Commission.
- Representation of private equity firms in structuring and real estate related decisions.
- Representation of owners, developers, and contractors in the implementation of solar photovoltaic power systems.
- Representation of national homebuilder in suit by homeowner alleging consumer fraud act violations.
- Representation of local developer in unconstitutional takings claim against municipality.
- Representation of lenders in foreclosure proceedings.
- Negotiations of commercial leases on behalf of landlords and tenants.
- Representation of clients in the creation of condominiums.
- New York Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Hudson County Bar Association
- Insurance Coverage Update - September 2015 (July 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update - June 2015 (June 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update - May 2015 (May 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update - March 2015 (April 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Newsletter - February 2015 (March 2015)
- Insurance Newsletter Update - January 2015 (February 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update November 2014 (December 2014)
- Insurance Coverage Update October 2014 (November 2014)
- St. John’s University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Columbia University (B.A., Economics and Political Science, 2000)
- State of New York
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York