William P. Krauss
William P. Krauss is a partner at Connell Foley whose practice focuses on the representation of clients in the areas of insurance, reinsurance, and bad faith. Mr. Krauss counsels insurers on a wide range of matters including construction defect exposures, environmental liability, professional liability, directors and officers liability, and various personal lines risks. He has litigated complex insurance disputes in a variety of forums and alternate dispute resolution settings and has more than twenty years of experience handling matters involving occurrence based and claims made coverage for liability and first party claims.
He has tried a wide range of matters including commercial and contract disputes, professional liability, products liability, and bad faith claims. He has handled appeals throughout his career.
Mr. Krauss entered the private practice of law in 1984 after serving as a Deputy Attorney General in the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office. Following graduation from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he was Director of the Moot Court Board, Mr. Krauss served as a law clerk to the Honorable Theodore W. Trautwein of the New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division. He joined Wilson, Elser LLP in 1984 and moved to Connell Foley LLP in 2011, where he works in the Insurance Coverage practice group.
Mr. Krauss was recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers in the area of insurance coverage in 2009, 2010, and 2011.
He is a member of the Council on Litigation Management and lectures on insurance, claim handling, and professional liability topics.
- Langan Engineering & Environmental Services v. Greenwich Insurance. Obtained dismissal of all claims against Greenwich Insurance on primary and umbrella policies in declaratory action arising from wall collapse in New York
- Pain and Ambulatory Surgical Center v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. Obtained dismissal of bad faith and punitive damage claims against Liberty Mutual in action by medical provider seeking "facility fee" payment under automobile no fault coverage
- Stavola Contracting v. Liberty Mutual. Lead bad faith counsel for Liberty Mutual in eight week trial resulting in favorable settlement
- Selbst v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyds London. Lead bad faith counsel for Underwriters in jury trial arising from a claim for one million dollars in disability benefits. All bad faith claims dismissed during trial. Successfully defended appeals
- Genner v. Federal APD. Defense trial counsel in product liability suit involving automated parking system. Defense jury verdict after two week trial
- Dillon v. Wausau Underwriters Insurance Company. Obtained dismissal of all bad faith and punitive damage claims asserted against a workers compensation insurer
- American Optical v. Admiral Insurance. Counsel for excess insurer in declaratory action seeking coverage for asbestos liabilities nationwide. Obtained favorable settlement following filing and argument of dispositive motions
- Hungerford & Terry Inc. v. Parkson Corp. Lead counsel for international wastewater treatment company in contract dispute arising from construction of wastewater facility in Texas. Obtained summary judgment on all claims and defended the resulting appeal
- DiBernard v. Togno Insurance Agency. Trial counsel for insurance producer in malpractice claim involving placement of liability coverage. Defense jury verdict following week long trial. Successful defense of appeals
- Acceptance Insurance v. Woodstock 99, LLC. Counsel for promoter of Woodstock '99 outdoor concert in subrogation action involving destruction of fencing and staging. Obtained summary judgment and defended the appeal
Honors and Awards:
- Best Lawyers in America (2016, 2017)
- "New Jersey's Top Rated Lawyers" as seen in Inside Jersey magazine (2012)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2009-2011, 2015-2017)
- AV Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Waste Management v. Admiral Ins. Co., 138 N.J. 106 (1993), cert. den. 513 U.S. 1183 (1995)
- Sealed Air Corp. v. Royal Indem. Co., 404 N.J.Super. 363 (App. Div. 2008), certif. den. 196 N.J. 601 (2008)
- Endo Surgi Center, P.C. v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co., 391 N.J. Super. 588 (App. Div. 2007)
- Franklin Commons Partnership v. Abex Corp., 997 F. Supp. 585 (D. N.J. 1998)
- General Metalcraft Inc. v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co., 796 F. Supp. 794 (D.N.J. 1992)
- Insurance Coverage Update - September 2015 (July 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update - June 2015 (June 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update - May 2015 (May 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update - March 2015 (April 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Newsletter - February 2015 (March 2015)
- Insurance Newsletter Update - January 2015 (February 2015)
- Insurance Coverage Update November 2014 (December 2014)
- Insurance Coverage Update October 2014 (November 2014)