Connell Foley’s Special Education attorneys understand that trying to navigate the special education system and ensuring the long-term financial security for family members with disabilities can be overwhelming and emotionally challenging. From a professional and personal perspective, our attorneys recognize the difficulties that parents encounter in raising a child with special needs. We help families understand their rights and advocate on their behalf to ensure that their children receive the education and services to which they are entitled.
Attorneys in Connell Foley’s Special Education Group provide parents with knowledge of a family’s procedural and substantive rights to help them become effective advocates for their children. This includes maintaining a cooperative and collaborative relationship with school districts whenever possible. When disputes arise, we advocate on behalf of parents in the Office of Administrative Law and in federal courts to ensure that school districts comply with all education laws and that children receive their rightful education and services.
Our attorneys provide a wide range of services to parents, including:
• Offering guidance on Early Intervention and Referral Services;
• Advising on Eligibility for Special Education and Related Services;
• Reviewing Individualized Education Programs (IEPs);
• Attending IEP meetings with the child study team;
• Assisting parents in resolving program and placement issues;
• Assisting parents when their children are being harassed or bullied by other students or adults; and
• Representing parents in mediations, due process hearings before the Office of Administrative Law, or in litigation in federal and state courts.
Connell Foley is also uniquely equipped to assist family members in planning for the future financial security of children with special needs. Attorneys from our Elder Law and Special Needs Planning Group advise individuals with disabilities and their families in establishing trusts and other mechanisms to ensure the long-term financial security of those with special needs. Among other services, we assist with filing guardianship applications, and preparing Special Needs Trusts.
Connell Foley’s Special Education attorneys are dedicated to assisting families with special needs children in finding solutions to the difficult issues they face.