Typically complex and high-profile in nature, class action litigations can place special demands upon the time and attention of high-level leaders within a business organization. They require legal counsel with significant experience and skill in resolving these disputes.
That’s why clients consistently turn to Connell Foley’s Class Action Defense practice group when involved in class actions with potentially large exposures to risk. Our group puts our clients’ business objectives first and foremost, and we build creative, aggressive, and practical legal strategies unique to each case. We integrate our clients’ goals into the particulars of every litigation, taking into account the forum, the judge, the relevant facts of the case, and the opposing counsel, among a host of other considerations.
A Track Record of Achieving Results
Our approach has achieved demonstrable success for our clients, particularly through early dispositive motion practice aimed at avoiding protracted and costly discovery. We partner with our clients to facilitate a timely and thorough exchange of information and value our clients’ input at every step of the case.
Representative successes include:
- Defending various putative class actions brought by subscribers, providers, and medical associations against healthcare carriers; alleging violations of ERISA, RICO, and other laws; and involving such issues as fraud investigations to recover overpayments, use of databases to determine usual and customary rates for out-of-network services, and coverage policies for treatment of eating disorders
- Obtaining a dismissal of a purported consumer class action under New York law regarding the Marquis Jet Card program, based upon a lack of the lack of any actionable conduct in New York
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in a state court class action related to pending Multi-District Litigation, which alleges false and inflated average wholesale prices for certain types of outpatient drugs
- Representing insurers and serving as liaison counsel to insurers and brokers in defending a putative class action asserting antitrust and RICO claims relating to the practice of paying contingent commissions to brokers
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in defending putative class actions from direct and indirect purchasers asserting antitrust violations arising from patents regarding Effexor XR® and related patent litigation with companies seeking to sell generic versions of the product
- Defending director and officer clients in class action securities fraud suits and shareholder derivative actions
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action brought against a banking and financial services group pursuant to the PSLRA arising out of purchases of certain mortgage backed assets
- Obtained dismissal of a medical monitoring class action brought by former plant employees against a chemical company
- Represented a snack food company in putative class actions in the District of New Jersey and Eastern District of Pennsylvania alleging consumer fraud violations based upon the mislabeling of caloric and fat content
- Represented a public utility company in a derivative shareholder class action brought in New Jersey state court
The Value of Our Team Approach
Connell Foley has the bench strength to assist our clients in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Each attorney in the group has experience with a broad range of class action litigation in areas such as antitrust, pharmaceutical, healthcare/ ERISA, consumer fraud, mass tort, product liability, RICO, and securities law. Our team includes nationally known leaders in these substantive areas of the law, who can lead the entire defense effort or assume responsibility for critical components of the case. Our group, which includes a number of former judicial law clerks, also possesses invaluable knowledge of the judiciary, the local jury pool, and the plaintiffs’ counsel for the putative class.