By: Scott Humphreys
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced an updated version of the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9) and its Instructions. Employers may begin to use the updated Form I-9, but must use the new Form I-9 after April 30, 2020.
The new Form I-9, which bears a revision date of 10/21/2019, is available in PDF format on the USCIS website. This form applies to all employers in the United States and must be completed for each new employee hired.
Notable changes to Form I-9 and its Instructions include:
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated the USCIS website address
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice