Alexis Lazzara has a broad corporate practice that focuses primarily on real estate transactions and land use. She provides counsel on the acquisition and sale of property, municipal land use law, development and redevelopment, complex commercial financing, and commercial and residential leasing matters. Her experience also includes negotiating and drafting corporate organizational documents for real estate joint investment partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies and various other forms of ownership.
Alexis advises developers in connection with subdivision, site plan and related permits and approvals for projects of nearly every size and character, and she represents buyers and sellers of almost every type of real property. She has experience with various developers and property owners concerning disputes about property boundaries, utility and roadway easements, joint facilities agreements and various other easements, covenants and restrictions to property.
Prior to joining Connell Foley, Alexis worked for International Specialty Products, a specialty chemical company, and its sister company, GAF Materials Corporation, a building materials company, as in-house counsel. She advised the corporation on commercial transactions and business proposals and drafted and reviewed corporate documents and commercial contracts for all aspects of the company’s chemical and roofing business. Alexis was also responsible for handling corporate domestic and international legal matters relating to the company’s real estate portfolio.
- Representative clients include: small and large banking institutions, title companies, institutional and private lenders, borrowers, developers, contractors, buyers, sellers, landlords, tenants, and other general business interests
- Closed loans secured by shopping centers, office buildings, apartment buildings, mixed-use projects, daycare facilities, and other real property and single-asset transactions. These have included acquisition, refinancing, and construction loans
- Represented a major corporation in the acquisition and financing of its 600,000+ square foot production facility and warehouse space
- Represented a prominent real estate developer in negotiating ground lease for major strip mall including obtaining financing for such operation
- Represented a prominent real estate developer in various acquisitions and dispositions of his portfolio through IRC Section 1031 like-kind exchanges
- Represented Paterson Habitat for Humanity in their day to day legal matters, including commercial contract review, acquisitions and sale of properties, site plan and subdivision applications, as well as the acquisition of various properties under the Housing and Economic Recovery Act Neighborhood Stabilization Program
- Represented Paramount Title Agency, Inc. in the capacity of Counsel to all of their in-house legal matters
- Represented various homeowners, developers, and corporations in property related environmental matters
- Represented various organizations in their application for 501(c)(3) tax exempt status
- Regularly handled filings and registrations for condominiums and homeowner associations with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs
- Involved in complex urban redevelopment projects and with issues related to zoning and regulatory requirements
Professional and Community Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Passaic County Bar Association
- Member, Executive Board for Paterson Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- R. 1:40 Qualified Mediator; Essex, Hudson, and Passaic County Rosters of Court-Approved Mediators
- Court Ordered Mediator, Passaic County, Special Civil Part
- Commercial Real Estate Women of New Jersey (CREWNJ)