Andrew Sayles provides counsel in all phases of civil claims, as well as internal investigations, risk assessment/avoidance and regulatory compliance, across a broad range of matters. His experience encompasses: general liability; defense of licensed professionals (e.g., lawyers, design professionals, medical care providers); products liability; employment claims; and claims of injury and abuse. He also represents companies in connection with commercial and contract disputes, including claims involving the UCC.
Additionally, Andrew focuses substantially in the consumer financial services field. He defends financial institutions and their service partners in complex litigation, with a particular emphasis on issues related to consumer financial services regulation. This includes defending claims arising under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and related federal regulations, as well as derivative claims arising from collection and foreclosure efforts. He also represents clients in claims involving state consumer protection laws including New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act (CFA) and Truth-in-Consumer Contract, Warranty and Notice Act (TCCWNA). Based on his experience, Andrew also offers guidance and counseling regarding compliance with various enumerated consumer protection laws. Andrew is also an experienced class action litigator. He has been involved in multiple state and federal consumer class action claims. This includes the successful defense of requests for class relief and, where appropriate, negotiating pragmatic and cost-effective class action settlements.
Through his broad experience, Andrew has a strong record of successful appellate outcomes. He has represented clients in matters before state and federal appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States and New Jersey's Supreme Court. Further, he has argued multiple matters before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and has advocated before the United States Solicitor General, Federal Trade Commission and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Prior to joining Connell Foley, Andrew worked in a health care and professional liability defense firm where he gained valuable litigation experience in New York and New Jersey.
- Provides counsel to corporate entities concerning claims for sexual abuse involving employees.
- Defense of educator in multi-party action involving alleged failure to report improper relationship.
- Obtained recovery for breach of contract claim involving UCC transaction.
- Obtained unanimous affirmation from New Jersey Supreme Court on issue of first impression concerning enforcement of marital settlement agreement provision.
- Obtained C.V.S.G from United States Supreme Court on appeal involving Fair Debt Collection Practice Act (FDCPA).
- Negotiated cost-effective settlement of malpractice claim against structural engineer.
- Represents retail stores in premises liability claims.
- Managed and negotiated favorable resolution of statewide class action in Western District of New York involving more than 20,000 class members.
- Obtained transfer of putative class action against financial services entity from Eastern District of New York to District of New Jersey resulting in voluntary dismissal of claim.
- Obtained in limine dismissal of malpractice and FDCPA claim against law firm arising from foreclosure litigation.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of putative class action against financial services entity involving allegations of Consumer Fraud Act (CFA), Truth in Consumer Contract Warranty Notice Act (TCCWNA) and Consumer Leasing Act (CLA).
- Negotiated favorable class action settlement in FDCPA claim involving HOA fees.
- Obtained individual resolution of putative class action alleging violations of TCPA against New Jersey business.
- Successfully defended lawsuit against law firm alleging violations of FDCPA, CFA and TCCWNA.
- Obtained early dismissal of lawsuit alleging FHA and ECOA violations in connection with residential mortgage modification application.
- Obtained dismissal of RICO suit against law firm involving financial services and foreclosure practices.
- Successfully defended and obtained dismissal of multiple federal actions involving claims under the FDCPA, Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA).
- Favorably resolved multiple putative class actions against financial services entities and law firms.
- Defended architect in copyright infringement action resulting in dismissal by summary judgment.
- Defended geotechnical engineer concerning design of multi-use commercial residential development
- Obtained successful settlement for plaintiff in breach of contract action for purchase of commercial real estate and corresponding dispute regarding security deposit.
- Defended engineer in design and construction of athletic fields
- Defended prefabricated steel framing producer in construction related lawsuit
- Defended property owner arising from personal injury on leased premises
- Defended directors and officers in negligence suit brought by homeowners association.
- Defended law firm in malpractice litigation arising from land use dispute
Walker v. Carrington Mortg. Servs. LLC, Case No. 16-8330, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 69696 (D.N.J. 2017)
Venner v. Bank of America, N.A., Case No. 16-4496, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 92687 (D.N.J. 2017)
- Bailey v. Zucker, Goldberg & Ackerman, LLC, 2016 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1972(App. Div. 2016)
- Jaccard v. Bank of Am., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 94346 (D.N.J. July 21, 2015)
- Castillo v. Zucker, Goldberg & Ackerman, LLC, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 33369 (D.N.J. Mar. 18, 2015)
- Devito v. Zucker, Goldberg & Ackerman, LLC, 908 F. Supp. 2d 564, 567 (D.N.J. 2012)
- Whittingham v. Mortgage Elec. Registration Servs., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 49400 (D.N.J. June 23, 2008)
- Deutsche Bank Nat'l Trust Co. v. Cothran, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 75921, 4-5 (D.N.J. May 31, 2012)
- Willoughby v. Zucker, Goldberg & Ackerman, LLC, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 81976 (D.N.J. June 16, 2014)
- Ruffolo v. HSBC Bank USA, N.A., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 141514 (D.N.J. Oct. 3, 2014)
- Murdock v. E. Coast Mortg. Corp., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 85428 (D.N.J. June 20, 2012)
- Allen v. LaSalle Bank, N.A., 629 F.3d 364 (3d Cir. 2011)
- Lane v. Fein, Such and Crane, LLP, 767 F. Supp. 2d 382 (E.D.N.Y. 2011)
- Williams v. Zucker Goldberg & Ackerman, LLC, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22866 (D.N.J. March 8, 2011)
- Sebrow v. Fein, Such, Kahn,& Shepard, P.C., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 16530 (D.N.J. Feb 16, 2011)
- Skypala v. Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc., 655 F.Supp.2d 451 (D.N.J. 2009)
- Rickenbach v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 635 F.Supp.2d 389 (D.N.J. 2009)
Professional and Community Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF)
- Co-chair, Legal Malpractice Committee (2020-2022)
- Fellow, ABOTA National Trial College at Harvard Law School (2014)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, The Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- Program Chair and Barrister, Brennan-Vanderbilt Inn of Court
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Steering Committee Member, Professional Liability Section
- DRI Consumer Financial Services SLG
- Commercial Law Committee
- Board Member, Friends of the World, Inc., (501(c)(3))
News & Insights
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, 03.17.2022
- Super Lawyers, 03.23.2021
- Andrew Sayles Appointed Legal Malpractice Committee Co-Chair for Professional Liability Defense Federation10.30.2020
- Connell Foley Attorneys Lauren Iannaccone and Andrew Sayles Prevail Before New Jersey Supreme Court in Issue of First Impression08.01.2019
- New Jersey Law Journal, June 12, 2019
- Super Lawyers - Thomson Reuters, 03.12.2019
- Super Lawyers - Thomson Reuters, 03.19.2018
- District Court of New Jersey Grants Motion to Dismiss Filed By Connell Foley Attorneys Andrew Sayles and Steven Kroll06.19.2014
- Karen Randall and Andrew Sayles Appear Before the United States Solicitor's Office in Washington, DC in Response to United States Supreme Court's Request For Views of the Solicitor General (CVSG)11.18.2011
- Chicago, IL, 09.16.2022
- New York, NY, 12.2017
- Speaker, “New Sheriff in Town: The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) – Why the Federal Government’s Expanded Roles in Consumer Protection Laws Should Concern Professionals”New York, NY, 2012
- Professional Liability Defense Quarterly (PLDQ), 06.24.2022
- Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF), 06.24.2022
- DRI's Commercial Litigation Committee Newsletter, The Business Suit, 06.02.2020
- DRI Commercial Litigation Committee’s The Business Suit Newsletter, 10.2018
- Co-author, "Anticipated Supreme Court Ruling Will Have Professional Liability Implications for Creditor’s Rights Attorneys"The Voice, DRI Newsletter, 03.21.2017
- The Voice, DRI newsletter, 07.20.2016
- Authors "The Noerr-Pennington Doctrine: An Effective Means to Argue Litigation Privilege in Federal Claims"08.03.2015
- Co-authors "The FDCPA Minefield: Exposure for Debt Collecting Attorneys under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act"08.03.2015
- Spring/Summer 2008
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 05.12.2022
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals Drastically Impacts Traditional Debt Collection Practice Model in FDCPA RulingLegal Blogs and Updates, 09.22.2021
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 06.30.2020
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 04.22.2020
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 04.15.2020
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 04.03.2020
- Supreme Court Rejects Application of the Discovery Rule to FDCPA Claims as ‘Bad Wine of Recent Vintage’Legal Blogs and Updates, 12.16.2019
- A Split New Jersey Appellate Division Permits Class Certification in Drink Price Suit Against Restaurant FranchiseLegal Blogs and Updates, 07.31.2019
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 02.27.2019
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 05.16.2018
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 02.14.2018
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 01.02.2018
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 11.29.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 10.17.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 08.18.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 07.21.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 07.20.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 07.14.2017
- UPDATED: Beware of E-Commerce and Marketing to Canada: Canada’s Broad Anti-Spam Law is Entering a New Phase of Enforcement on July 1, 2017Legal Blogs and Updates, 06.30.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 06.16.2017
- SCOTUS Unanimously Restricts Ability of Putative Class Action Plaintiff to Appeal Denial of Class CertificationLegal Blogs and Updates, 06.14.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 05.18.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 03.31.2017
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 01.25.2017
- D.C. Court of Appeals Finds that CFPB is Unconstitutionally Structured and Vacates $103 Million FineLegal Blogs and Updates, 10.12.2016
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 07.21.2016
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 06.07.2016
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 06.06.2016
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 05.26.2016
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 05.19.2016
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 01.22.2016
New Jersey Law Journal "New Leaders of the Bar" (2019)
New Jersey Super Lawyers (2014-2019, 2021, 2022)
Please see Honor and Award Methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Honorable Estela M. De La Cruz of the Superior Court of New Jersey for Bergen County
Syracuse University College of Law (J.D., 2004)
Syracuse University (B.A., Political Science and International Relations, cum laude, 2001)
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States Supreme Court