Heather Kumer, a LEED-Accredited Professional in Building Design and Construction, practices primarily in the areas of real estate, land use and cannabis law. Heather guides clients in making their real estate project’s vision a reality. As part of her practice, she regularly works to obtain approvals in front of planning boards, zoning boards and historic preservation boards, as well as provides counsel on redevelopment agreements and redevelopment plan amendments. She has been involved with real estate development throughout the City of Jersey City for almost a decade in both the private and public sector.
Combining her background in land use and zoning, sustainability, redevelopment, cannabis, municipal law, and regulatory and government affairs, Heather provides a unique perspective on development projects. In addition, she represents not only real estate developers, but also cannabis companies with applications and site plan approvals as well as related legislative issues. In fact, Heather has been involved with drug policy reform and cannabis legislation since 2004, when she was involved with Students for Sensible Drug Policy during college. She continues to work in cannabis industry advocacy as the Municipal Policy Advisor for the New Jersey Cannabis Industry Association.
Prior to joining Connell Foley, Heather was an in-house counsel and sustainability coordinator for the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency for over five years, where she worked closely with the general counsel on legal matters. As part of this work, Heather was involved in redeveloper designations and agreements, as well as large scale projects related to the redevelopment of the City of Jersey City, including the construction of Berry Lane Park, a 17 ½ acre former brownfield site. While working in the public sector, Heather secured and implemented federal, state, county and private grants, including Major League Baseball Grant, Tony Hawk Grant, Hudson County Open Spaces Grant, NOAA Resiliency Grant, and the NJDEP Post Sandy Resiliency Grant.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Commercial Real Estate Women of New Jersey (CREWNJ)
- Urban Land Institute, Northern New Jersey Chapter
- Co-Chair, Women's Initiative
- Co-Chair, Young Leader's Group
News & Insights
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2020
- Speaker, "Just Say Zone! Preparing for Recreational Marijuana in New Jersey and Lessons Learned from Other States," New Jersey Association of Planning and Zoning Administrators and Rutgers University Center for Government Services19th Annual Current Issues in Planning and Zoning Education Conference; DoubleTree by Hilton, 05.10.2019
- Speaker, "Cannabis in New Jersey: Growin' Ganja or Building an Industry That Can Thrive in New Jersey?" American Planning Association New Jersey Chapter2019 New Jersey Planning Conference; Hyatt Regency - New Brunswick, NJ, January 24-25, 2019
- 2018 New Jersey Planning Conference; Hyatt Regency, New Brunswick, NJ, 01.26.2018
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 03.22.2020
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 04.18.2019
Best Lawyers in America Ones to Watch (2021)
- Real Estate Law