Thomas Cosma has 40 years’ experience advising small and middle-market businesses and in resolving substantial commercial disputes through negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation. With a focus on construction, commercial, corporate and business law, Tom has litigated matters before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States Supreme Court and New Jersey State courts.
With regard to companies in the construction industry, Tom advises businesses on a wide range of issues, corporate planning, litigation and contract review. Many of his clients are real estate development entities, including federally subsidized housing projects in New York and New Jersey, as well as professional entities such as law firms, engineering firms, architects and other limited partnerships. His clients appreciate his responsiveness, efficiency and ability to anticipate problems that may affect a litigation strategy.
With a strong knowledge of business valuation and estate planning, Tom is also experienced in advising clients on business succession. He has a sophisticated understanding of the complex tax issues involved in the transfer of a business and efficiently resolves the thorny family disputes that often arise in these matters.
Following law school, Tom served as a law secretary to the Honorable Peter W. Thomas, Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Served as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court District Ethics Committee
- Member of the Essex County Bar Association and of the New Jersey State Bar Association, for which he has served on the Construction and Public Contract Committee since 1984
- Served as Chair of both the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Judicial Administration Committee and the Equity Jurisprudence Committee
- Participates in the Litigation, Business Law and Public Contract Law sections of the American Bar Association. Within the Business Law Section, Tom is a member of the following committees: Business and Corporate Litigation; Legal Opinions; LLCS, Partnerships and Unincorporated Entities; Middle Market and Small Business; Negotiated Acquisitions; and Uniform Commercial Code. He also serves in the Section of Litigation’s Construction Litigation and Business Torts Litigation Committees and the Section of Public Contract Law’s Model Procurement Code and III-Construction Division Committees.
- American Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Presenter, “Public Contracts and Procurement Regulations in New Jersey,” Lorman Seminar (2003, 2005, and 2007)
- Speaker, New Jersey Assisted Housing Management Association, Spring Management Event (2000, 2002, 2003, and 2005)
- Faculty Member, New Jersey Judicial College (2002)
- “Construction Claims and Law: Preparation, Proof and Defense,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2012)
- “Construction Law Basics,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2004)
- “Chancery Law Bench-Bar Conference,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2003)
- “Bid Protests and Appeals Under Federal, State and Local Public Contract Laws,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2000)
- “Public Bidding Law and Practice in New Jersey,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (1995)
News & Insights
- Mark L. Fleder, Thomas S. Cosma, Meghan Barrett Burke and Danielle M. Novak present in cooperation with NJSBA Construction Law Section01.12.2016
- Connell Foley Partner Tom Cosma Speaks at Rutgers University 45th Annual Public Purchasing Education Forum01.12.2016
- Connell Foley Partner, Thomas S. Cosma's Article "Iran Sanctions Act Impacts Public Bidding Process," Featured in the Local Government & Public Finance Law Section of the New Jersey Law Journal12.04.2013
- Cosma And Taraschi Win Dismissal Of Complaint And Rescission Of Settlement Agreement For Local Board Of Education06.20.2012
- New Jersey Law Journal, 10.24.2016
- Thomas Cosma Authors "N.J. Department of Labor Revises Contractor Suspension Regulations: Are They Coming After You?"07.23.2015
- Thomas Cosma and Mitchell Taraschi Publishes Article "What is the Length of Prohibition for Offending Contributions Under Chapter 51/Executive Order 117?"07.23.2015
- Connell Foley Partner, Thomas S. Cosma's Article "Iran Sanctions Act Impacts Public Bidding Process," Featured in the Local Government & Public Finance Law Section of the New Jersey Law Journal07.01.2015
Best Lawyers in America (2016, 2017)
"New Jersey's Top Rated Lawyers" as seen in Inside Jersey magazine (2012)
- Honorable Peter W. Thomas, Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1977)
Saint Peter's College (B.A., cum laude, 1974)
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court