As Co-chair of Connell Foley’s Real Estate and Land Use Practice Group, Nevins McCann guides real estate developers through all phases of the development process. With extensive experience and relationships, Nevins assists developers in locating and acquiring parcels, entering into development and redevelopment agreements, securing all necessary site permits, financing, construction, leasing and sales. He has substantial experience executing mergers and acquisitions of all sizes, as well as negotiating and drafting a diverse array of complex contracts.
Nevins maintains an active land use practice. He has obtained permits and approvals from planning and zoning boards throughout New Jersey for more than 10,000 residential units, 10 million square feet of office space, several million square feet of retail and industrial space, and multiple hotels and fractional/timeshare residences. He also completed the development of a world-class golf course, the Liberty National Golf Club, on the Hudson River in Jersey City.
In addition, Nevins represents clients before federal, state and local agencies on a broad spectrum of projects, including those affected by wetlands, meadowlands and waterfront development, as well as subject to CAFRA and other regulations. Redevelopers of brownfields and other blighted properties frequently seek his counsel, particularly tax abatement advice. Nevins also assists developers in registering projects with the New Jersey Division of Community Affairs and the NJ Real Estate Commission (NJREC). He was one of the first lawyers to file a fractional/time share plan with the NJREC under the Timeshare Act.
In 2010, Nevins was appointed to Governor Christie’s transition team subcommittee on transportation, assisting the administration with issues facing the state Department of Transportation and New Jersey Transit. He is chairman of the board of the Jersey City Medical Center Foundation, and serves on the board of RWJBarnabas Health Jersey City Medical Center and the Liberty Science Center.
- Representation of owner/developer in development and approval of major mixed use project containing over three million square feet of office space; a 600-room hotel; a train station with over 200,000 square feet of retail space; a 10,000 space parking garage; and a new exit off the New Jersey Turnpike to service this development and local area
- Representation of ferry operator in contract negotiation with State of New Jersey and National Park Service in the takeover of Circle Line Statue of Liberty Cruises
- Representation of owner/developer in regard to the acquisition and land use approvals from federal, state and local agencies for the development of “Liberty National,” a world class golf course on the shores of the Hudson River and site of The 2009 Barclays™ PGA Tour FedEx Cup Playoffs; a 2,000 unit residential complex; 100,000 square feet of retail space; and a 70,000 square foot state-of-the art clubhouse
- Representation of The PGA Tour in regards to The Barclays, the first of the FedEx Cup Playoffs
- Representation of major retail chain in statewide site selection, land acquisition, and approval process for over one million square feet of retail space
- Representation of owner/developer in land use approvals for large mixed use project containing 1,800 residential units, one million square feet of office space, a 200 key hotel and 40,000 square feet of retail space
- Representation of owner/developer in development and approval of master plan for multi-billion dollar mixed use project containing 7,000+ residential units, over a million square feet of office space, over a million square feet of big box retail space, and a 500 key hotel
- Representation of owner/developer in tallest residential building in New Jersey containing two towers of 55 and 50 stories with 900 residential units
- Representation of owner/developer in what will be the tallest residential building in New Jersey containing 67 stories and 892 residential units
- Representation of owner/developer in development of a 200 key boutique hotel
- Representation of both landlords and tenants in lease negotiations for big box retail, office, and industrial space
- Representation of parties to all forms of contracts from joint ventures, operating agreements, funding agreements, and more
- Representation of owner in $200 million sale of mortgage company
- Representation of owner in $1 billion sale of communications company
- Representation of art dealer in contract dispute over high profile art deal
Professional and Community Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Moderator, "The Jersey City Summit for Real Estate Investment," roundtable&advisory (October 2015)
News & Insights
40 Under 40, New Jersey Law Journal (2009)