We support and advocate for those without the means to retain legal representation on their own, bringing to bear the skill, training and experience our professional standards demand. Drawing on resources from across the firm, our pro bono teams collaborate on a range of matters pertaining to civil rights, economic development and domestic violence. We are also passionate about children’s issues and provide representation in matters concerning custody, visitation and guardianship, housing and homelessness.
We represent individuals and organizations alike and support just causes via policy advocacy. In addition to the many pro bono cases we open each year, Connell Foley readily accepts court appointments to provide pro bono counsel in civil and criminal matters.
Leadership provided by the firm’s Pro Bono Committee ensures the fulfillment and effectiveness of our efforts.
Connell Foley in the Community
Our lawyers and staff are dedicated to enriching the communities in which we work and live. To this end, we regularly perform public service work and volunteer on civil, ethical and judicial committees. Our people are members of governing bodies for educational institutions, youth sports leagues and arts organizations, as well as local government entities. We proudly contribute our time, energy and money to a variety of social service and community organizations.
This commitment to providing services to those in need has earned the firm several awards, including the CIANJ “Champion of Good Works” award for our involvement with organizations such as Dress for Success and Rebuilding Together.
Connell Foley is committed to raising money to benefit charitable causes and, through financial dedications, to promoting the growth and education of the youth in our communities. Many of our lawyers and staff provide community service through teaching, mentoring and other educational assistance programs.
- We have been involved with the funding of after-school programs to support academic development and involve children in enriching activities.
- We promoted a corporate internship program that provides students with job experience while allowing them to earn a significant portion of the cost of their education.
- In 2011, we established an Endowment Scholarship at Seton Hall University School of Law to provide needed financial support to talented students of diverse racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Real Estate and Renovation
Connell Foley has been involved with the pro bono resolution of real estate issues and contributed hands-on volunteerism to build and repair facilities to benefit several entities and causes.
- We negotiated real estate matters on behalf of a nonprofit organization, enabling them to open a home for the needy.
- We helped rebuild a summer camp offering education in arts and culture to underprivileged children.
- For over 17 years, Connell Foley lawyers and staff have participated in and supported Rebuilding Together Jersey City, initially working on single-family houses. As our experience and numbers grew we, under took bigger projects including the Boys and Girls Club, Camp Liberty and St. Lucy’s Homeless Shelter.
- In 2016 and 2017, the Connell Foley team helped Mary’s Place, a former convent in the Greenville section of Jersey City that was recently converted into a boarding home for single women in transition. Our volunteers assisted with painting, clean-up and other tasks to help prepare the shelter for full occupancy.
- Connell Foley lawyers and staff participated in a silent auction that raised over $4,500 for the 2014 Special Olympic USA Games in New Jersey.
Our community and pro bono work is driven by the interests and passions of our team. For more information, please contact the Chair of our Pro Bono Committee, Jennifer C. Critchley at firstname.lastname@example.org.