As a leader in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), Connell Foley has the knowledge and experience to prevail in high risk arbitrations that often involve millions of dollars and place companies’ reputations and future prospects in jeopardy. Clients in diverse industries and fields – including aviation, construction, finance, insurance, environmental, land use, intellectual property and employment, among others – turn to Connell Foley to handle their most important ADR matters.
Simply said, the firm has decades of experience representing clients at every level and forum for dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, mini-trials, international and discovery matters. We help our clients manage all forms of disputes, from relatively simple matters to highly complex cases in product liability, class actions, patent infringement, antitrust and securities.
Our ADR practice offers unparalleled judicial resources. Hon. Eugene J. Codey, Jr., retired Presiding Judge, Superior Court of the State of New Jersey, Essex County, and Hon. Francis J. Orlando, Jr., retired Assignment Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Camden County, have over 50 years of collective bench experience and bring unique insights into the adjudicatory process.
Extensive industry knowledge complements the firm’s judicial experience to bring a unique 360-degree perspective to our clients. Peter J. Smith is certified by the American Arbitration Association for their construction industry experience. George J. Kenny, author of the leading text on New Jersey Insurance Law, offers focused services as a neutral in the insurance industry. Kevin R. Gardner mediates civil matters placed in his care by the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Areas of Focus
Our distinguished ADR Practice Group handles the mediation and arbitration of:
- Commercial disputes
- Construction industry disputes
- Employment discrimination disputes
- Investment and securities matters
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Nursing home claims
- Professional malpractice claims
- Personal injury claims
- Wrongful termination and whistleblower claims
- Disputes between principals of closely held businesses
Whether applying the firm’s ADR experience on behalf of clients or acting as a neutral third party, Connell Foley delivers insightful, creative and practical counsel to help minimize the expense and frustration of the litigation process, often resolving cases before parties incur the expense associated with extensive discovery and the retention of experts. Our group’s matters have included:
- Chair of arbitration panel in consolidated arbitration of disputes among construction manager, mason and steel erector on New Jersey Schools Development Authority project
- Arbitrator in international action between foreign-based passenger airline and US-based contractor concerning terminal construction in an airport owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- Chair of arbitration panel in dispute between public sewer authority and mechanical contractor concerning claims and counterclaims for delay, change orders and back charges
- Mediated dissident shareholder action involving the valuation of a New Jersey banking institution that merged with another banking entity
- Sole arbitrator in dispute between a private New Jersey university and a contractor concerning the construction of an athletic field in compliance with NCAA Division I requirements for competition
- Mediated a complex product liability matter involving catastrophic burn injuries to three young plaintiffs
- Arbitrator in dispute between foreign manufacturer and domestic purchaser regarding the design and performance of industrial equipment, inclusive of claims for misrepresentation and lost profit
- Arbitrator in dispute over valuation of approximately $30 million in change orders in the gut rehabilitation of a landmark Manhattan hotel
News & Insights
- New Jersey Law Journal, 09.30.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- New Jersey Law Journal, 09.2017
- Connell Foley LLP - Roseland Office, 06.12.2018