Anthony Vitiello, Chair of Connell Foley's Taxation and Estate Planning Group, is presenting a live webinar titled "Self-Settled Life Insurance Trusts: A Viable Alternative?" on Wednesday, September 16, 2020. Joining Tony in the presentation is Brandon Cintula, CTFA, CFIRS – Chief Operations and Fiduciary Officer of Peak Trust Company, which is hosting the webinar.
Self-settled life insurance trusts are structures that allow a client to be a beneficiary of a trust that holds life insurance insuring the client’s life (thus providing access to cash value). In this webinar, Tony and Brandon will examine the use of these trusts as an alternative to cash value life insurance policies, and the viability of using such as a means of having life insurance proceeds excluded from a client’s taxable estate. Their comprehensive overview will include:
- Technical refresher on why self-settled trusts should not be included in a decedent’s taxable estate
- The IRS private letter rulings on self-settled trusts
- Discussion of whether a trust can own life insurance on a beneficiary, in general (and the parameters)
- Theoretical underpinnings and the authorities on insuring beneficiaries of trusts
- Understanding and weighing the risks and benefits of self-settled life insurance trusts
Please visit Peak Trust Company to register for this event.