Richard Chattman plans and implements both offensive and defensive litigation strategies and brings a powerful analytical ability to the complex matters he handles. He has nearly 30 years of litigation experience and handles complex litigation in many forums, especially federal courts. Richard has been providing advice and analysis regarding all types of insurance coverage issues for twenty-five years and conducts policy-training seminars for firm clients. He also lectures on expert admissibility issues.
Richard clerked for the Honorable Sidney M. Schreiber, Justice of New Jersey Supreme Court from 1975-1976. He was a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court’s District Five Ethics Committee from 1985-1989. While in law school, Richard served as articles editor of the Rutgers Law Review and authored “The Proposed National Court of Appeals: A Critical Analysis,” 27 Rutgers Law Review 904 (1974).
Professional and Community Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Speaker, “Everything Old is New Again: Protocol for Fire Investigation and Litigation in the New Millennium,” Loss Executives Association, Mid Year Conference (January 1999)
- Author, “Revisiting Pickett v. Lloyds: A Survey, Assessment, and Practice Pointers Regarding New Jersey First-Party Insurance Bad Faith Law,” published in New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (August 2012)
- Author, “Home Improvement Disputes Under the Consumer Fraud Act: Background, Recent Case Law, and Practice Pointers,” published in New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (January 2011)
- Author, “Measuring Business Interruption Loss in Wide-Impact Catastrophes: Insurance Against Catastrophes or Only Against Insured Damage from Catastrophes?” published in Volume 19, No. 4 of ABA Coverage Journal (July 2009)
- Author, “Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Kumho Tire Treads Past Daubert – Will the Gatekeeper Accept the World Wide Web?” published by American Bar Association (January 2000)
News & Insights
AV Preeminent Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
2015 “Top Rated Lawyers,” Appellate Law (published by American Lawyer Media)
2014 “Top Rated Lawyers,” Insurance Law (published by American Lawyer Media)