Since the firm’s inception in 1938, Connell Foley has provided the insurance industry with unparalleled representation of insureds in the full spectrum of domestic and international liability defense matters. Our lawyers provide representation in covered matters through all aspects of dispute resolution, including pre-suit counseling, initial case assessment, discovery and motion practice, trials and appeals. Our team has argued pivotal cases before numerous appellate tribunals, creating important industry-favorable precedent on a range of key issues. Where appropriate, our lawyers also present matters through alternative dispute resolution venues.
The exposure posed by the volume and nature of claims presented today heightens the need for strong, effective trial representation. Insurance companies turn to our experienced litigators because of our record of proven results, our reputation for outstanding service and our extensive trial experience as reflected by the significant number of lawyers in this group designated as Certified Civil Trial Attorneys.
Breadth of Knowledge
Connell Foley’s scope of engagement with insurance defense litigation encompasses multiple disciplines and industries, including:
- Auto/Trucking negligence
- Environmental litigation
- Professional liability
- Commercial property losses
- Mass tort
- Railroad liability
- Construction liability
- Premises liability
- Dram Shop
- Subrogation prosecution/defense
- Contractual liability
- Product liability
- Toxic tort
Proven Defense Strategies
Our experienced trial lawyers serve as litigators, counselors and advocates in a wide range of matters. In all cases, the group strives to provide cost-effective legal representation by combining its comprehensive knowledge base with proven defense strategies. When litigated disputes arise, our lawyers employ a detailed initial evaluation to fully identify and evaluate the potential outcomes of litigation and resolution and to assess the ultimate exposure which may be at issue.
Where appropriate, we work closely with our clients to achieve early, favorable resolutions, thereby providing efficient alternatives to reduce risk and avoid protracted liability claims. When settlement is not feasible, our lawyers are uniquely poised to represent clients through effective trial techniques that achieve successful results. Indeed, our team routinely tries cases to verdict to obtain winning results.
Our lawyers have earned a strong reputation among colleagues, adversaries and the bench for vigorous legal representation and high ethical standards. The firm's Insurance practice has been recognized in Chambers USA every year since 2017, and in both 2017 and 2018 the practice was named a “Litigation Department of the Year" by the New Jersey Law Journal.
Members of our team are often called upon to lecture and write on emerging legal issues across the country. Many have been selected to participate and serve as leaders in such organizations as the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and the New Jersey Defense Association (NJDA).
Our team provides in-house educational seminars to our insurance industry clients, in-house legal counsel and professional claims personnel. These instructive presentations are specifically tailored to our clients’ areas of business as part of the firm’s ongoing commitment to our insurance industry clientele.
News & Insights
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2023
- NJBIZ, 04.21.2023
- Best Lawyers and U.S. News & World Report, 11.10.2022
- Connell Foley Recognized in Several Practice Areas with New Attorneys Added to Rankings in the 2022 Chambers USA GuideChambers USA, 06.02.2022
- ROI-NJ, 03.25.2022
- Best Lawyers and U.S. News & World Report, 11.04.2021
- New Jersey Globe, 09.03.2021
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.19.2021
- New Jersey Law Journal, 08.02.2021
- BTI Consulting, 06.09.2021
- Connell Foley Receives High Marks, Adds Practice Areas and Attorneys to Rankings in 2021 Chambers USA GuideChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- Best Lawyers, 11.05.2020
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- NJBIZ, 03.02.2020
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers, 11.01.2019
- New Jersey Law Journal, 09.30.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2019
- Chambers USA Guide, 04.25.2019
- Super Lawyers - Thomson Reuters, 03.12.2019
- Best Lawyers, 11.01.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- New Jersey Law Journal, 04.23.2018
- Best Lawyers, 11.01.2017
- New Jersey Law Journal, 04.25.2017
- Colorado Springs, CO, 09.2021
- The Palace at Somerset Park, 03.01.2018
- Capital Analytics Associates, 05.03.2023
- Law360, 01.03.2023
- ROI-NJ , 01.26.2022
- Timothy Corriston Is Subject of Feature Article on Connell Foley's Commitment to Growth, Culture, Camaraderie01.11.2022