Joseph Murphy has extensive experience counseling real estate owners, developers, end users and investors on the acquisition, disposition, development, financing, management and operation of real estate. He works collaboratively with clients and provides strategic advice regarding real estate and other commercial transactions and issues.
Joe’s representation of business owners and investors spans a wide range of commercial transactions, including working with landlords and tenants in connection with leases and subleases for office, warehouse, retail and industrial space.
Prior to joining Connell Foley, Joe worked as an associate for the largest law firm in Washington, D.C. and in the Newark office of a New York City-headquartered law firm. Before attending law school, he was an investment accountant with the Prudential Insurance Company of America.
- Represented leading national food producer and distributor in acquisition and permitting of vacant sites for development of 600,000-square-foot national headquarters and regional warehouse and distribution center
- Represented governmental authority in various complex multiple-party development and financing transactions, including development agreement, ground lease and financing for location of national destination retailer; loan and intercreditor agreements for financing of residential, charter school and retail development project, which included a New Market Tax Credit financing component; and financing of amusement and entertainment pier
- Advised and counseled landlords and tenants on negotiation of leases, lease amendments, lease terminations and lease related issues for office, industrial, hospitality, residential and retail space
- Represented investors/partners in real estate development companies in the negotiation of, and disputes concerning, subscription agreement for acquisition of membership interest, joint venture/company agreements and separation agreements
- Counseled designer and builder of wetland and stream mitigation banks and turn-key project specific environmental mitigation used as compensation for development in environmentally sensitive areas; representation included advice on all aspects of the acquisition and subsequent conveyance of properties, preparation of conservation restrictions/easements, and title and corporate matters
- Advised and represented national retailer regarding expansion of multiple locations, including obtaining all governmental and third-party approvals and permits and evaluation of potential new locations
- Drafted and negotiated various construction and architectural contracts; prepared form construction contracts for public corporation
- Negotiated and drafted various agreements governing operation of mixed-use high-rise development with ownership divided between ground and air rights parcels, including Easement and Operation Agreement
Professional and Community Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Moderator, “New Jersey’s Financial Support For Improving Building Energy Performance on the Local Level,” 2nd Annual Green Buildings Summit 2010 (June 2010)