Matthew W. Bauer maintains a complex litigation practice concentrating in transportation, premises liability, product liability and general business disputes.
Matt is a graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy at Stanford University. He also served as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy from 1988 to 1992.
- Represented a variety of over the road national motor carriers, including well-known dry van, moving and food service companies, in defense of personal injury claims.
- Led the local defense efforts for a large private operator of buses, shuttles and paratransit vehicles.
- Defended North America’s leading manufacturer of commercial vehicles against both traditional products as well as warranty claims.
- Has successfully defended cases on behalf of a broad sample of industry, including, plastics, chemical, food and beverage companies.
- Frequently defends major retailers against the gamut of premises liability claims.
- Has successfully defended commercial building owners and operators, including those in the entertainment and gaming industries.
- Has experience defending class actions, including ones filed against a large home warranty company and a large casual dining restaurant chain.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- General Council Delegate (2019-2020)
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Barrister, Worrall F. Mountain American Inn of Court
- American Trucking Associations
- USLAW Network Transportation Practice Group
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Committee
- American Bar Association Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee
- Facilitator, “Defining Corporate Social Responsibility and the Role that Chief Legal Officers and In-House Counsel Play in Protecting Your Company’s Reputation and Its Future,” USLAW Network National Client Conference (Fall 2021)
- Speaker, "Telling the Good Company Story to Offset Claims of Negligent Hiring Supervision and Training," USLAW NETWORK Worldwide Virtual Retreat: 2021 and Beyond; Online Program (October 2020)
- Co-chair, Transportation and Logistics Education Track, USLAW Network National Client Conference (Spring 2019)
- Panelist, “Transportation Claims Are Not Just for the Trucking Industry,” USLAW Network Retail and Hospitality Law Exchange (October 2018)
- Panelist, "Defending Warranty Cases," Daimler Trucks North America LLC Outside Counsel Meeting (October 2017)
- Co-presenter, “Is Your TBI Really TBS?” Chubb Group Claims webinar, July 2016
- Speaker, “Amendments to federal hours of service regulations,” USLAW Network national client conference (Spring 2012)
- Speaker, “Driver/trucking company conflicts,” USLAW Network national client conference (Spring 2010)
- Chair, panel discussion on dram shop liability issues, USLAW Network national client conference (Spring 2009)
- Editor and Contributor, USLAW Network Compendium on Surveillance Law, Fall 2014
- Contributor, ABA Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee Compendium on Damages, 2013
- Co-author, USLAW Network Transportation Compendium of Law, Spring 2013
- Co-author, USLAW Network Compendium on the Offer of Judgment Rule, Fall 2012
- Co-author, "E-Discovery Under New Jersey Court Rules," New Jersey Lawyer magazine, August 2007
- Contributor, Defense Research Institute's publication on Evidence
News & Insights
- Virtual Presenter, "Defining Corporate Social Responsibility and the Role That Chief Legal Officers and In-House Counsel Play in Protecting Your Company’s Reputation and Its Future."Virtual, 11.04.2021
- Facilitator, “Defining Corporate Social Responsibility and the Role that Chief Legal Officers and In-House Counsel Play in Protecting Your Company’s Reputation and Its Future,” USLAW Network National Client Conference (Fall 2021)Colorado Springs, CO, 09.2021
- Speaker, "Defining Corporate Social Responsibility and the Role That Chief Legal Officers and In-House Counsel Play in Protecting Your Company’s Reputation and Its Future"Virtual Program, September 30 - October 9, 2020
- Honorable Steven L. Lefelt, J.S.C. (now J.A.D., retired), 1996 - 1997
Rutgers University School of Law (J.D., Rutgers Law Journal Articles Editor and Member, 1996)
University of Pennsylvania (B.A., History and English, 1988)
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York