Patrick Hughes is a distinguished litigator and business advisor. As managing partner of the Cherry Hill office, he represents clients in significant commercial, product liability and mass tort litigation in state and federal courts in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. He is likewise skilled in an array of commercial transactions.
Patrick’s work on commercial disputes covers a wide range of contract, fraud and business tort cases. He has extensive experience in asbestos mass tort, defending manufacturers, suppliers and premises owners. Patrick first tried to verdict asbestos matters in the consolidated Brooklyn Navy Yard cases. Today, he continues to represent clients in asbestos matters filed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. His defense of product liability actions also includes various chemical exposure cases as national coordinating counsel. Over the course of his career, Patrick has tried more than 50 cases, including several professional liability cases.
In addition to his litigation work, Patrick is adept at complex corporate negotiations and has counseled clients in the chemical, energy and software sectors, among other industries, in all phases of commercial contracts. Clients rely on Patrick for efficient and responsive legal solutions to their business needs.
Patrick also has substantial experience working with health care clients, including physicians’ practices and home health care agencies. He has a deep knowledge of compliance issues, advising on the development of programs that address anti-referral, anti-kickback, privacy and other state and federal statutes and regulations, as well as counseling on general corporate matters.
Before entering private practice, Patrick was a Captain in the United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where he was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division as a prosecutor and international law officer.
- Represents a specialty chemical manufacturer in toxic exposure cases brought in state courts by employees of various manufacturers
- Represents a chemical manufacturer in disputes regarding multiple complex long-term contracts
- Represented several manufacturers in disputes regarding domestic and international sales
- Represented a manufacturer in various periodic contract negotiations with major tire manufacturers
- Represented a business owner in breach of commercial loan case
- Represents manufacturers, distributors and facility owners in state and federal asbestos actions, including trial of a mesothelioma death case in federal court
- Represented a flavor manufacturer in a commercial claim brought by a beverage manufacturer located in Central America, where much of the discovery occurred, to a successful resolution
- Represented a construction company that prefabricated concrete for a bridge, seeking commercial damages from a general contractor in a federal court action, which resolved satisfactorily on the second trial day
- Represents physicians' practices in all phases of business, compliance and corporate matters
- Glencore LTD v. Degussa Engineered Carbons L.P., 848 F. Supp. 2d (S.D.N.Y. 2012); Defended a manufacturer in a contract dispute and petition to order the dispute to arbitration under the Federal Arbitration Act and the New York Convention.
- Weiss v. Goldfarb, 713 A.2d 427 (N.J. 1998); Defended a medical center and its staff in a wrongful death, medical malpractice claim, in which the Supreme Court upheld the trial court’s denial of an ultimate outcome instruction requested by the plaintiff to inform the jury that any judgment against the hospital would be limited by statute.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Master and Co-Director, John C. Lifland American Inn of Court
- Manager, Connell Foley’s Cherry Hill, New Jersey Office
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- USLAW Network
News & Insights
- Super Lawyers - Thomson Reuters, 03.12.2019
- Super Lawyers - Thomson Reuters, 03.19.2018
- Connell Foley Partner, Patrick J. Hughes, installed as Co-Director of the John C. Lifland American Inn of Court06.12.2013
- Virtual Program, September 30 - October 9, 2020
- Webinar, 10.29.2019
Client Choice Awards (2013)
"New Jersey's Top Rated Lawyers" as seen in Inside Jersey magazine (2012)
New Jersey Super Lawyers (2006, 2008, 2012-2020)
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude,1984)
Lafayette College (B.A., Government and Law, cum laude, 1981)
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Supreme Court