George Garcia focuses his practice on redevelopment law and municipal land use matters in urban and suburban areas throughout New Jersey. With more than 17 years of experience, he regularly prepares development applications, appears before planning, zoning and historic boards throughout the state and prepares resolutions of approval on various land use matters. George also concentrates on preparing and prosecuting condominium applications and public offering statements within the tri-state area.
With extensive knowledge of the technical requirements involved in establishing rehabilitation and redevelopment zones under the Local Housing and Redevelopment Law, George represents clients in the creation of redevelopment areas and plans. He regularly negotiates and drafts redevelopers' agreements and negotiates on behalf of private clients with redevelopment agencies throughout New Jersey for large scale projects ranging in capital deployment of $25 million or more. George has significant experience preparing, negotiating and presenting long-term tax abatement applications to city councils on behalf of developers.
George has also represented municipalities as a zoning board attorney, providing input on long-term zoning and redevelopment plan implementation. In addition, he advises and guides clients through the zoning and land use process associated with identifying locations to establish cannabis-related businesses.
George has obtained permits and land use approvals for over 5,000 residential units and more than one million square feet of retail, and has worked on several hotel projects. He is currently working with his client on the construction of the largest residential tower in the state of New Jersey.
In 2010, George served as a member of Governor Chris Christie's Transition Team, Department of Community Affairs. He currently serves as a Commissioner on the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority and frequently lectures on tax abatement and land use for the New Jersey Redevelopment Authority. Committed to community service, George was a founding board member of the Jersey City Global Charter School.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Member, New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA)
Board Member, Hudson County Chamber of Commerce
Member, Hudson County Bar Foundation
News & Insights
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.19.2021
- New Jersey Law Journal, June 12, 2019
- NJBIZ, 11.26.2018
- 525 Washington Blvd., 12th FL, Jersey City, 06.23.2022
- Virtual, June 15 - 17, 2021
- Hyatt Regency, Jersey City, NJ, 11.18.2019
- NJCU School of Business, 05.22.2019
- The Imperia in Somerset, NJ, 09.18.2018
- Lecturer, "Real Estate Acquisitions, Tax Abatements, and Land Use and Entitlement Matters," New Jersey Redevelopment Authority
- Lecturer, "Tax Exemptions," Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Panelist, "New Jersey Economic Growth Act"
- Panelist, "Developments in Jersey City and Other Urban Areas," The Stoler Report
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 04.24.2020
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 03.19.2020
- Legal Blogs and Updates, 10.19.2018
- Real Estate Law
NJBIZ "Vanguard Series - Real Estate" (2018)
New Jersey Law Journal “40 under 40” (2010)
Please see Honor and Award Methodology. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
New York Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2000; Editor and writer, New York Law School Law Review; teaching fellow)
Saint Peter’s College (B.S., 1995)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Fluent in Spanish