Nevins McCann has been at the frontline of New Jersey’s legal and political landscape for many years. From major real estate projects to high-stakes litigation, he advises clients on some of the state’s most significant and high-profile legal developments.
In 2017, Nevins was named to New Jersey Governor-Elect Phil Murphy’s Transition2018 team, a group of senior level industry and policy professionals tasked with analyzing issues and making recommendations to the new administration. In 2010, he was appointed to Governor Christie’s transition team, assisting the administration with issues facing the state Department of Transportation and New Jersey Transit.
Nevins is a highly regarded business partner who works closely with his clients to ensure the most successful operation and outcome for their companies. With an intimate understanding of regulatory issues and a vast network of relationships, he guides clients through challenging and often sensitive issues. His experience spans multiple industries and includes counsel related to:
- Real estate development and land use
- Corporate transactions
- Banking and financing
- Corporate compliance
- Internal investigations
- Cannabis law
- Commercial litigation
- Regulatory and governmental affairs
- Crisis management
As Co-chair of Connell Foley’s Real Estate and Land Use Group, Nevins guides real estate developers through all phases of the development process. With extensive experience and relationships, Nevins assists developers in locating and acquiring parcels, entering into development and redevelopment agreements, securing all necessary site permits, financing, construction, leasing and sales. He has substantial experience executing mergers and acquisitions of all sizes, as well as negotiating and drafting a diverse array of complex contracts.
Nevins also maintains an active land use practice. He has obtained permits and approvals from planning and zoning boards throughout New Jersey for more than 10,000 residential units, 10 million square feet of office space, several million square feet of retail and industrial space, and multiple hotels and fractional/timeshare residences. He also completed the development of a world-class golf course, the Liberty National Golf Club, on the Hudson River in Jersey City.
As an offshoot of his real estate practice, Nevins represents clients before federal, state and local agencies on a broad spectrum of projects, including those affected by wetlands, meadowlands and waterfront development, as well as subject to CAFRA and other regulations. Redevelopers of brownfields and other blighted properties frequently seek his counsel, particularly tax abatement advice. Nevins also assists developers in registering projects with the New Jersey Division of Community Affairs and the NJ Real Estate Commission (NJREC). He was one of the first lawyers to file a fractional/time share plan with the NJREC under the Timeshare Act.
With his office and team based in Jersey City, Nevins has had a heavy hand in guiding many of the major developments that have transformed the City of Jersey City. Nevins works very closely with the Mayor of Jersey City, the Jersey City Council and all of the City agencies in effectively and efficiently getting the job done.
In addition, Nevins leads Connell Foley’s Cannabis Law Group. As a new industry in New Jersey, cannabis presents a thicket of regulatory, legal and political issues. Nevins combines his experience in all of these areas to help clients find opportunities and address new challenges. He currently serves on the board of the New Jersey Cannabis Industry Association.
Nevins is chairman of the board of the Jersey City Medical Center Foundation and serves on the board of RWJBarnabas Health Jersey City Medical Center. He is also a proud Trustee of the Liberty Science Center.
- Representation of owner/developer in development and approval of major mixed-use project containing over three million square feet of office space; a 600-room hotel; a train station with over 200,000 square feet of retail space; a 10,000 space parking garage; and a new exit off the New Jersey Turnpike to service this development and local area. (Secaucus, NJ)
- Representation of medical cannabis license applicants as well as cannabis advocacy groups in connection with cannabis legalization in New Jersey.
- Representation of clients in connection with securing approximately $100 million in tax credits through the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA), including advice to developers, lenders and tenants regarding applications for and availability of these and other tax credits.
- Representation of ferry operator in contract negotiation with State of New Jersey and National Park Service in the takeover of Circle Line Statue of Liberty Cruises.
- Representation of owner/developer in regard to the acquisition and land use approvals from federal, state and local agencies for the development of “Liberty National,” a world class golf course on the shores of the Hudson River, as well as a 2,000 unit residential complex, 100,000 square feet of retail space, and a 70,000 square foot state-of-the art clubhouse. (Jersey City, NJ)
- Representation of The PGA Tour in regards to The 2009 and 2013 Barclays, which has now become The Northern Trust, as well as The 2017 Presidents Cup. (Jersey City, NJ)
- Representation of major retail chain in statewide site selection, land acquisition, and approval process for over one million square feet of retail space.
- Representation of owner/developer in land use approvals for large mixed use project containing 1,800 residential units, one million square feet of office space, a 200 key hotel and 40,000 square feet of retail space. (Jersey City, NJ)
- Representation of owner/developer in development and approval of master plan for multi-billion dollar mixed use project containing 7,000+ residential units, over a million square feet of office space, over a million square feet of big box retail space, and a 500 key hotel. (Jersey City, NJ)
- Representation of owner/developer in one of the tallest residential buildings in New Jersey containing two towers of 55 and 50 stories with 900 residential units. (Jersey City, NJ)
- Representation of owner/developer of a residential building containing 67 stories and 892 residential units. (Jersey City, NJ)
- Representation of owner/developer in development of a 200 key boutique hotel. (Jersey City, NJ)
- Representation of both landlords and tenants locally and nationally in lease negotiations for big box retail, office, and industrial space.
- Representation of parties to all forms of contracts from joint ventures, operating agreements, funding agreements, and more.
- Representation of owner in $200 million sale of mortgage company.
- Representation of owner in $1 billion sale of communications company.
- Representation of art dealer in contract dispute over high profile art deal.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Trustee, Liberty Science Center
Chairman of the Board, Jersey City Medical Center Foundation
Board Member, RWJBarnabas Health Jersey City Medical Center
Board Member, New Jersey Cannabis Industry Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Moderator, "The Jersey City Summit for Real Estate Investment," roundtable&advisory (October 2015)
News & Insights
- ROI-NJ, 11.11.2019
- NJBIZ, 11.26.2018
- NJBIZ, 06.25.2018
- ROI-NJ, 10.30.2017
- Harborside JC - 210 Hudson Street, Jersey City, 11.13.2018
- North Jersey Country Club, 04.25.2018
- The Imperia - Somerset, NJ, 04.17.2018
- NJBIZ, 02.25.2019
- Featured, "Real Estate Expert on Development Growth in Jersey City: I think it’s Still Very Much in its Infancy"ROI-NJ, 11.09.2018
- NJ Cannabis Media, 07.16.2018
- Law360, 03.16.2018
- ROI-NJ, 01.23.2018
- ROI-NJ, 01.02.2018
- "Vanguard Series - Real Estate" (2018)
- "Vanguard Series - Leaders in Law" (2018)
40 Under 40, New Jersey Law Journal (2009)
Villanova University School of Law & Business (J.D./M.B.A., 1997)
Georgetown University (B.S./B.A., Finance and International Business, 1994)
Delbarton School (1990)
- New Jersey
- New York